So one reason I haven’t is that I’ve mostly been making more blankets for SMT and I’m sure everyone is sick and tired of seeing those by now.
The other is that I’ve been making a little winter set for my grandson and it’s proving to be time consuming. It’s a cardigan, hat and scarf in two colours and I’ve till got a lot of the scarf to make and a zip to add to the cardigan. Below is a photo of the outfit as done so far.
And I’ve been busy with the blankets and Age Concern hats. Decided to take a break from them and made an owl for my youngest’s gf. Thought it would take me a long time but managed to do it in about 10 hours. Feeling good about it.
So having made that I am back to making blankets. This is my current WIP (work in progress).
I’m attempting to write my own patterns as I’m always free styling my crochet. This one I made on the bus yesterday and decided I’d give it away free so that if there are any mistakes I will get told about them by people who use it. (At least I hope that’s how it will work ).
Newborn/Preemie Baby Beanie.
Using 3.5mm crochet hook and approximately 25g of DK yarn.
Abreviations: UK stitches in brackets
ch = chain
sc = single crochet (double crochet)
hdc = half double crochet (half treble crochet )
dc = double crochet (treble crochet)
Ss = slip stitch
n.b. beginning chains do NOT count as stitches.
Round 1. Starting with a magic circle: ch.1, 6 sc in magic circle s.s. to first ch. (6 stitches)
Round 2. ch1, 2sc in evey stitch, ss to ch1 (12 stitches)
Round 3. ch1, *2sc , sc in next stitch, repeat from * to end of round ss to ch1 (18 stitches)
Round 4. ch1, *2sc, sc, in next 2 stitches ,repeat from * to end of round ss to ch1 (24 stitches)
Round 5. ch1, *2sc, sc, in next 3 stitches, repeat from * to end of round ss to ch1 (30 stitches)
Round 6. ch1, *2sc, sc, sc in next 4 stitches, repeat from * to end of round ss to ch1 (36 stitches)
Round 7. ch1 *2sc, sc, in next 5 stitches, repeat from * to end of round ss to ch1 (42 Stitches)
Round 8. ch1, *2sc, sc,in next 6 stitches, repeat from * to end of round ss to ch1 (48 stitches)
Round 9. ch 1 *2sc, sc in next 7 stitches, repeat from * to end of round ss to ch1 (54 stitches)
Round 10. ch1, *2sc, sc in next 8 stitches, repeat from * to end of round ss to ch1 (60 stitches)
Round 11. ch2, hdc to end, ss to top of ch2
Round 12. ch3, *dc, ch, miss a stitch, repeat from * to end of round ss to top of ch3.
Round 13. Ch1, sc to end, ss to ch.
Rounds 14 – 19 Repeat rounds 11 to 13
Round 20. Ch3, dc in every stitch and fasten off. Weave away ends.
I managed to finish making The Very Hungry Caterpillar (my own design version) and also got three blankets made for SMT. Quite a productive two weeks if I include all the Age Concern Smoothie hats I knitted too.
I’ll only add the pictures of the blankets and caterpillar as no one needs to see two dozen hats (in various stripe patterns) for on top of Smoothie bottles.
But I haven’t been idle on the crafting front in that time. I’ve made a load more Age Concern hats and did a few more squares, for the Yarn bombing of Kingsway Shopping Centre in Newport, for last Sunday’s Knit in public day. I’ve also sent off a box of blankets for SMT today and have another three started (one of which I need to get more yarn for before I can finish it 😦 ).
In between all that I’ve been making my own version of The Very Hungry Caterpillar for my Grandson’s 1st birthday next month. I have a few pieces left to make and am trying to work out the best way to make multi coloured antennae – any ideas gratefully accepted.
I won’t bombard you all with photos of everything I made but here are some of my favourite pieces from the last fortnight.
I have a new toaster & wash machine on order (Thank goodness for catalogue accounts) and my roast pork turned out excellently even if I say so myself. The crackling was especially delicious.
On the crocheting front I managed to get one more 8″ square from the last of the wool. I also finished blanket #9 for SMT with 4,630 trebles to add to the SMT total of 38,092,765 as at 20th May.
Started the week with my old washing machine breaking down. Chose to do something to cheer me up and decided to make a frog for my son’s 26th at the end of the week.
Didn’t finish it on time. However I did get good news at my Knit & Natter group. Turns out the Velindre Chicks I made were a huge success due to the variety of types I had done.
Then today the toaster blew all the fuses in the kitchen as it too gave up the ghost 😦 Decided to finish making squares for the Woolly Weekend that my daughter got me involved with and went to message her via my Kindle Fire only to realise it hadn’t recharged because it too has broken 😦
Good news is I managed to get some more hats for Age Concern finished as well as using up almost all the wool my daughter gave me for the squares.
I am dreading to think what tomorrow will bring as I am going to attempt to do a roast pork with crackling – that was always my late husband’s area of expertise not mine. I’m hoping to get a positive result and that the bad luck is done, especially now that I have had three things break down.
Meanwhile I will cheer myself up by letting everyone admire my productivity of the week 😀